Google Reportedly Working On End-To-End Encryption for RCS Messaging

Tech Giant Google has been adding features to its RCS messaging feature ever since the conception of the service. The company aims to match iMessage - a popular messaging feature for iPhone users that doesn't require a cellular connection unlike traditional SMS services. 

One of the latest additions, in terms of features, to hit Google RCS service is the end-to end encryption. This means that messages from users are encrypted and decrypted locally in the users' devices. As opposed to server encryption, ene-to-end encryption ensures that even Google isn't able to see the messages being transferred through RCS messaging.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 1.42.29 PM.png

Image : Automateddreams

This is a huge step in favor of those who have been skeptical about security and privacy on Android as opposed to the Apple ecosystem.

Google announced that the company has been tirelessly working in order to make the RCS messaging better and more suited for all sort of users. RCS has WhatsApp like features which supports Gifs, video sharing, photo sharing - without compromises to quality as opposed to traditional MMS. 

Further features of RCS includes - read receipts and 'typing' notification. RCS does not work with iOS devices as well as third-party apps. If both users use RCS through 'Google Messages' then there should be no problem whatsoever. 

Limitations of RCS include its lack of cross-platform support. Additionally, RCS has to be activated manually as opposed to iMessages which works out of the box. Both RCS and iMessage require carrier support as well which is not easily available in countries like ours. 

Ncell has been reported to support RCS already, however, at this point the Ncell support seems like a hit-and-miss situation as it didn't work on the trails we attempted at Cybernepal. 

Let us know below if RCS works for your device with Ncell. 

• Like 7

I use NTC sim and the RCS messaging is activated by default but I have not tried it as I don't have friends who use it many people still prefer messenger, instagram, whatsapp and viber for chating..Google has been trying a lot to make chatting and texting easy but I think the company is really late on this game.

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, baTsy said:

I use NTC sim and the RCS messaging is activated by default but I have not tried it as I don't have friends who use it many people still prefer messenger, instagram, whatsapp and viber for chating..Google has been trying a lot to make chatting and texting easy but I think the company is really late on this game.

I still don't have it on NTC. I guess its because I'm running Google Messages app on Samsung's ONE UI - Time to flash Lineage it seems :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, avinash said:

I still don't have it on NTC. I guess its because I'm running Google Messages app on Samsung's ONE UI - Time to flash Lineage it seems :classic_laugh:

I am also running Google Message on Samsung S9 + with One UI 2.5, maybe there's a problem from the carier (NTC) side because recently they are having problem of sending OTP codes from international region. You should visit NTC office near your location maybe they can help you activate RCS  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1