Why you should be using a Laptop Cooler?(UPDATED ARTICLE)

Ok so I've found Laptop users just not using a laptop cooler. Here are just some of the reasons why you should be using it:

1) A lot(almost all) of laptops have heat issues and most tend to draw air from under the laptop(and throw it from the sides).

image.png.ac645e1e8d3670cd4f2a6b3928843e2c.png

This picture shows airflow through a laptop cooler effectively.

Having a cooler raises the laptop (allowing more air to enter) and when combined with the air from the fan, it significantly reduces the heat issues. Non-gaming oriented laptops generally have terrible airflow because of cramped space and small fans. These are conscious design choices made by the manufacturers to make the laptop look slim and appealing while smaller fans prevents the laptop from making audible noise. These laptops can do hardly any form of heavy workload and start to throttle within minutes while the CPU starts to heat up aggressively. 

Raising the laptop and not letting it sit flat on the table is more significant than people realize. Even if you don't have a cooler, just put a fat pen or something small under the laptop to elevate it. You will find how the laptop now runs much cooler and the fans are much quieter

Long term heat issues just deteriorates the health of laptops, as heating problems, for lack of a better word, "corrodes" the parts. This especially affects the CPU which quickly gets damaged under high heat. And although your CPU might not be completely damaged, the laptop slowing down can be easily felt.

2) Most laptop coolers come with RGB light nowadays so that is kinda cool. You can have RGB lights in your laptop setup.

image.png.eee04ea1a5306953f70d82561c0af694.png

Look how cool this looks

3) Raising the laptop just a lil bit and giving it a tilt provides a significantly better typing experience and creates less wrist pain.

If you have a non-adjustable tall chair and you have to constantly bend your neck just to see the laptop screen, there are some tall laptop coolers which will better your screen vision as well as prevent neck pain.

Most of the times, my cooler isn't even plugged in and it is there just to give a tilt.

image.png.b6a2a4976ad4ee001e6df7a0f3803c4b.png

4) This is a weird one but has saved my laptop countless times. I spill drinks on the table regularly and not having to worry about it entering the laptop is a huge relief. I don't know how many times I would've destroyed my laptop with liquid damage had it not been for my cooler elevating the laptop.

5)This may only apply to specific models, but some laptop coolers nowadays come with USB ports somewhat functioning as a USB hub.

The only real down side for having a cooler is you lose a USB port. 

Choosing a cooler:

image.png.63e53d10305197c50e319d9bb2124129.png

Basically there are 2 types of coolers. The one on the right directly sits on the vent of the laptop so it might be better for some laptop models. (Disclosure - I have not tried the cooler on the right nor have I seen it being sold in Nepal)

It is important not to overspend on these coolers, especially since most of them are not quality products. Unless you want some fancy features, you can easily get a cooler for under Rs. 1000. Just make sure you get a cooler with 2 fans and see if it provides good airflow. Do not get a cooler with single fan. You can get coolers with adjustable height, so you might want to look into it. 

Soooooo, get a cooler. 

Also, as mentioned in the comments below, if your laptop has cooling issues, you might want to look into changing thermal paste and under-volting. 

Edited by Ramdai
added some content
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

24 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Pranil Adhikari said:

Mero ni heat ko problem atti cha tara feri cooler nai chaina. Mainly game khelda.

external cooling does help but have you tried undervolting??? it is easy to do and will lower your temp while gaming.

• Like 1
On 9/5/2020 at 12:02 PM, Ramdai said:

Ok so I ve found people just not using a laptop cooler. Here's why you should be using it.

1) A lot(almost all) of laptops have heat issues and most tend to draw air from under the laptop. Having a cooler raises the laptop (allowing more air to enter) and when combined with the air from the fan, it significantly reduces the heat issues. 

Raising laptop and not letting it sit flat on the table is more significant than people realize. Just put a fat pen or sth under the laptop and you will find how the laptop is now more cooler. 

Long term heat issues just deteriorates the health of laptops, especially the cpu and slows the computer down.

2) Most come with RGB light now so that is sick.

3) Raising the laptop just a lil bit and giving it a tilt provides a significantly better typing experience and creates less wrist pain. Most of the times, my cooler isn't even plugged in it is there just to give a tilt.

4) This is a weird one but has helped me countless times. I spill drinks on the table regularly and not having to worry about it entering the laptop is a huge relief. I dont know how many times I would've totaled my laptop had it not been for my cooler.

The only down side for having a cooler is u loose a USB port.

So yeah buy a cooler. Its cheap, i got mine for 1k.

Ya  when I also tilt it when I use . I looked around and found changing thermal past will be also a very good option. If still the performance is bad I will get a cooler .  Thanks mate . 

• Thanks 1

I won't lie. It it a handy product when it comes to squeezing everything left in your old laptop. In my experience, when you reach the point where you have to use an external cooler, it usually means that it is time to start thinking about investing in a new machine!

• Like 1

umm..laptop ma heating issue ta hunxa..maile cooler ta use gareko xaina but eeuta book(laptop ko sixe bhanda sano) rakheko xu ani air flow huni thau lai raise gareko xa..ani yettikai table ma rakhnu vanda ali badhi flow hunxa

• Like 1

I support the points mentioned above by @Ramdai . I have been using the laptop cooler and I have seen the changes. You should know I have tried changing the thermal paste. Sometime we place laptop on such surfaces which mostly block the air passage, laptop cooler will help you for easy air passage and also help you to tilt the laptop on any angles you feel comfortable. 

43 minutes ago, Ramdai said:

Absolutely. Also, what laptop do u have and how easy was changing the paste?

man what?????

it worked for me.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Ramdai said:

man what?????

I am using Sony Vaio SVE15136CAW and it was quite easy for me, as I knew a little about disassembly and assembly of laptop. Youtube can help you for the disassembly. 

On 9/9/2020 at 12:04 PM, EZARUS said:

can I know about thr prices of it?

Daraz ma ni cha model ra price detail ma herna ta. Tara mostly 1k ko under decent wala aaucha. Tyehi ho aba 2 fans wala cooler leko chai ramro.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Linjan018 said:

What's the problem with cooler with a single fan?

There are 2 main issues with single fan. First, like I described above, we can't really expect good quality from these cheap coolers. So, when one fan is down, another can still push air. It doesn't help that we run these fans continuously for long sessions.

Second, different laptops have different placement of cpu and vents. Hence, heating up in different places. A single fan cannot account for the different placements. A dual or more fan setup can reach the corners of the laptop without compromising the middle part. 

• Like 2

I also have laptop heating problem and i am not thinking about buying pre made cooler right now. I am thinking of making own custom cooler and making better air flow. But, if you are not interested on DIY , you better to go for these options.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, arceous said:

I support the points mentioned above by @Ramdai . I have been using the laptop cooler and I have seen the changes. You should know I have tried changing the thermal paste. Sometime we place laptop on such surfaces which mostly block the air passage, laptop cooler will help you for easy air passage and also help you to tilt the laptop on any angles you feel comfortable. 

2 hours ago, baka said:

what i do is i take a box like thing with ice in it and keep it near the laptop and it has also worked very good.

man what?????

On 9/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, Bibek_ said:

I won't lie. It it a handy product when it comes to squeezing everything left in your old laptop. In my experience, when you reach the point where you have to use an external cooler, it usually means that it is time to start thinking about investing in a new machine!

nah its for the other benefits too. So, if u use it from the start the life of the laptop is longer. And prevents it from slowing down

Edited by Ramdai
1 minute ago, AshimkunwoR said:

How and where do you keep that ? Ani it works!?

paila tray ma ice banau ani laptop ma kunai side bata airflow hune thau ko  side ma tray rakhdeu ani kam hunxa. 

it worked for me but only litte bit but i suggest you to buy cooler if you want to fix the problem. you can find many good types of cooler under 1k.

• Haha 1

Theses optional  coolers are really good and works quite well as described but one thing really buzzing in my mind.. Can a single large fan at center positioned suffice the cooling effectiveness or its mandatory or recommended to use dual fan coolers.

39 minutes ago, Rohit kapali said:

Theses optional  coolers are really good and works quite well as described but one thing really buzzing in my mind.. Can a single large fan at center positioned suffice the cooling effectiveness or its mandatory or recommended to use dual fan coolers.

Single fan cooler isn't terrible and is better than having no fan. So, it is more of a recommended one. But, since they cost pretty much the same, why not just go for the dual fan. And like I mentioned above, have 2 or more fans is just a safer bet since the heating place of the laptop could be anywhere. 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:54 PM, baka said:

paila tray ma ice banau ani laptop ma kunai side bata airflow hune thau ko  side ma tray rakhdeu ani kam hunxa. 

it worked for me but only litte bit but i suggest you to buy cooler if you want to fix the problem. you can find many good types of cooler under 1k.

khai bro ice tyesto ramro nai ta na hola ekai chin ma paglincha. 

I don' think I ve mentioned in the article but some benefit less than others from a cooler. Laptops like the macbook air has no airflow entrance from the bottom of the laptop so, the benefits may be minimized. 

• Like 3

Good Read. I have not yet used a cooler till date but would surely use one if i have any heating issues. But till now i don't have any.

🙂