Laptop Vs Desktop. What should I buy?

I am going to buy a new pc later this year. I want to build a custom pc but my Dad says I should get a laptop. I am really confused what to buy. I currently have a laptop. Although laptops are portable Desktops are better in my opinion. What are your thoughts  guys. What should I buy?? Thanks

Edited by Hinex
spelling mistake

12 answers to this question

Really depends on what you are going to use it for, how much power you need, how durable you need it to be. Please give us more information

@HinexSo three things to consider, 

1. Where do you see yourself in, say, 1-2 years. Are you gonna be living with your parents for your higher education (Hseb/A-levels, etc.). If you are going to leave, go for a laptop you'll need it with you: Laptop
  2. Now if you are staying home, as far as gaming is concerned, you are not gonna play games on the move. You'll most likely have a station for that at your home. So here you can forget about the portability and go for power and durability: PC
  3. Video editing combined with gaming is going to be hard on a laptop. Most laptops out there are not equipped with cooling systems as good as you can get in a PC given the lack of space (a compromise for portability). You'll soon find yourself complaining about over-heating if you go for a Laptop: So PC

I am also looking to buy a machine for myself to edit videos on. I mostly edit on the go. Sometimes I have to edit on the bus, at a roadside tea stall, even in the jungle (if work demands it) so I have to compromise on power and durability in order to have the portability or mobility. 

Final thought: The only case you should go for a laptop is if you really want that mobility. If you are gonna be stable at a place for at least 3-4 years, go for a PC. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, avinash said:

Really depends on what you are going to use it for, how much power you need, how durable you need it to be. Please give us more information

@avinash Sorry, I am just learning in Grade 10. I will be taking Computer Science. I would like to use it for Gaming and other normal purposes. I may also learn video editing. 

Yeah I will be stable in one place. I haven't found my laptop of much use outside my house. But, I guess I will go to study abroad later in the future. I think I Should get a PC and then sell it later. Is it okay to go for a desktop then? @avinash

Thanks

• Like 1

It simply depends on your preference and usage-style.

There's no better choice than a desktop PC for hardcore gaming. The  advantage is the level of customization.Tailor the PC all you want for years to come.

For editing,coding and medium gaming, imo laptops are better. I'm the type that cannot stay in a single place for 5-6 hrs straight unless its for gaming. 

Looks like you're on grade 10. So you've a long way to go..I would say get a mid-spec laptop for 2 more years of your college life(something adequate for standard editing and gaming)and once you are in the stage of higher studies, go all out for a beast build.

• Like 1

You will get a lot of time to game in the nest 2.5 year ( if you are average in studies and not so much in top ranks ) go for a desktop build ..anything less than 1.2 lakhs nowadays isnt a good enough gaming or video editing pc..you can sell after the 2 years if you are going abroad later at like 70-80 which is like 700$ and can go outside and buy a good enough laptop..

DO GO FOR THE PC.

I didnt say that laptops are bad but you will be playing 1.5 times the price to get a 50% of power

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Panda_Mafia said:

Looks like you're on grade 10. So you've a long way to go..I would say get a mid-spec laptop for 2 more years of your college life(something adequate for standard editing and gaming)and once you are in the stage of higher studies, go all out for a beast build.

@Panda_Mafia I was thinking the same but Idk why I am really striving to build my own custom pc.  But i still got time to think it over. 🙂 Thanks.

23 minutes ago, MaTuAG said:

You will get a lot of time to game in the nest 2.5 year ( if you are average in studies and not so much in top ranks ) go for a desktop build ..anything less than 1.2 lakhs nowadays isnt a good enough gaming or video editing pc..you can sell after the 2 years if you are going abroad later at like 70-80 which is like 700$ and can go outside and buy a good enough laptop..

@MaTuAG yeah I found the price of laptops very absurd. Seems i should go for a desktop. 🙂 thanks.

Edited by Hinex

Of course, PC is the right choice. I found that you will be doing gaming and video editing stuffs. If you do simple video editing, you can buy laptop as well. But if you have to do a heavy editing (using after effects, adding lots of effects to your videos in Premiere pro), you need a good PC. You will see your laptop lagging during video editing no matter how good it is and similarly rendering speed is faster in PC. So it really depends on the level of video editing you want to do.

Just a quick note: If you are building PC for video editing, go for Amd processors as it contains more cores and threads as compared to intel which helps you in video editing and provides you fast rendering speed.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Beecase said:

Of course, PC is the right choice. I found that you will be doing gaming and video editing stuffs. If you do simple video editing, you can buy laptop as well. But if you have to do a heavy editing (using after effects, adding lots of effects to your videos in Premiere pro), you need a good PC. You will see your laptop lagging during video editing no matter how good it is and similarly rendering speed is faster in PC. So it really depends on the level of video editing you want to do.

I wont do such heavy video editing. I will just learn it. I wan a pc primarily for gaming 🙂

and i decided i will go for a desktop 🙂 @AshimkunwoR

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Hinex said:

I wont do such heavy video editing. I will just learn it. I wan a pc primarily for gaming 🙂

and i decided i will go for a desktop 🙂 @AshimkunwoR

Since you are interested in video editing, I am pretty sure that your interest will keep growing in editing stuffs and later you will be needing PC for sure if you buy laptop for now. And you want to do gaming as well so, yeah PC is the right choice. Go for it.

• Like 1