Overclocking your processor: Good or Bad?

I have been hearing the term 'overclocking' many times when i was studying and researching on processors.

I have heard that overclocking boosts your computer's performance. 

How true is it and up to what extent does it boosts computer's performance?

Is it good or bad to do overclocking in old processors?

Are there any risks while doing overclocking?

and If I wish to do overclocking  what are the things that i should be aware of?

Please share your tips and knowledges about overclocking.

• Confused 1

17 answers to this question

1 hour ago, baka said:

I have been hearing the term 'overclocking' many times when i was studying and researching on processors.

and If I wish to do overclocking  what are the things that i should be aware of?

So, yes overclocking can boost your performance. You can overclock your cpu to get higher boost clocks which can be beneficial.

There are both merits and demerits of overclocking, firstly i don't recommend overclocking your cpu if you don't know how to configure your bios.

Overclocking can be tricky, firstly what cpu do you have all ryzen processors are factory unlocked for overclocking but not all intel cpu's are. Check if your cpu can be overclocked in the first place and also check if your motherboard also supports overclocking. Overclocking can affect the longevity of your system. Always do it knowing sthg might go wrong. Now, check guides online for your specific cpu you are about to overclock, check for how they are changing their TDP and how much boost they are going for. Do a thorough research on what the most stable overclock there is for your system. While doing overclocking don't just raise the mhz rapidly slowly increase the speed of the cpu and TDP and find the best one for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Overclocking generally isn't inherently harmful (as long as the components support; compatible processor and motherboard, sufficient cooling and power supply and such).

In case of Intel the 'K' series processors all support overclocking natively.
In case of AMD (RYZEN) most if not all processors support overclocking.

Overclocking in simple terms boosts CPU's clock (say from max 5.0ghz to 5.3 ghz or more depending on your processor, setup, your knowledge on the  topic, components used etc. ) thus boosting the performance at various tasks (i do not recommend for gaming)

Overclocking old cpus may not be a bad idea as overclocking has existed for a very long time. BUT as i said before it depends on the components, compatibility, user's knowledge etc.

Basic overclocking may not be as hard as you are thinking.  'K' series intel processors (i7-9900k, i7-10900k) , Many Ryzen Processers support overclocking. When paired with suitable motherboards (higher end mother boards for respective CPUs (z series, B550)] the bios has the options for overclocking. Each board and system config may requires different settings for optimal efficiency so try youtube videos from reputed and trustworthy people.  As overclocking may require crossing the recommended threshold of the power limit for the CPU, the CPU will get hotter than usual and will require better cooling solution.  Mild overclocking may not cause much issue like going from 5.0ghz to 5.2.  Many expert overclockers can boost the clock much higher than normal people likre 5.0 -5.6ghz or higher. But such overclocking is temporary and requires intense research and prep work.

Usually overclocking is not a bad idea if your work requires it and your system is compatible and can handle it. Motherboard BIOS may have a simple max CPU clock speed setting.

Also the RAM can be overclocked as well.  Same limitation a CPU, thermal limitations, compatibility etc.

Do not overclock old CPUs if they are already at the end of their life.

For compatibility check manufactures manual and or website.
Take caution.
Examples may not be exactly as stated.
Take the information with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, baka said:

I guess overclocking improves the performance.

Just now, cultured_weeb said:

I guess overclocking improves the performance.

there must be some sort of risk. Have you tried overclocking your processor?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, baka said:

Overclocking actually boost your computer perfomance but it also have some risk.

I don't think it is good to overclock very old processors also, If you have new processor with warranty, it will void warranty!!

If your processor is overclockable, i recommend you to downclock the voltage rather then increasing clock speed. 

Decreasing voltage will run your processor cool as well as boost perfomance.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sygdml said:

Oveclocking can boost the CPU performance but don't push too hard otherwise there will be damaging consequences.

yup i found that if there is a simple mistake the motherboard may fail.

9 hours ago, sakshyam khanal said:

Overclocking actually boost your computer perfomance but it also have some risk.

I don't think it is good to overclock very old processors also, If you have new processor with warranty, it will void warranty!!

If your processor is overclockable, i recommend you to downclock the voltage rather then increasing clock speed. 

Decreasing voltage will run your processor cool as well as boost perfomance.

so it is not worth trying in old processors.

• Like 1

No, don't overclock old processor. You can damage your PC. Overclocking will surely boost the performance but if your PC has poor air supply, it will result in damage as you need good airflow for overclocking. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Beecase said:

No, don't overclock old processor. You can damage your PC. Overclocking will surely boost the performance but if your PC has poor air supply, it will result in damage as you need good airflow for overclocking. 

i think i will upgrade my pc when i have the budget. and thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, baka said:

yup i found that if there is a simple mistake the motherboard may fail.

so it is not worth trying in old processors.

you can downclock voltage..if your laptop runs hot.... You can try it by using some software rather then going to bios.

Simple words:
Overclock if you actually know what you doing.
Don't if you just trying around.

Overclock if your rig is new or actual supports it

Don't if you are just flanking it. 

Don't overclock laptops.

1 minute ago, ALiuS said:

Simple words:
Overclock if you actually know what you doing.
Don't if you just trying around.

Overclock if your rig is new or actual supports it

Don't if you are just flanking it. 

Don't overclock laptops.

can i know the reason why not to overclock laptops?

11 minutes ago, baka said:

can i know the reason why not to overclock laptops?

Easiest one, space constraint and airflow. Everything is so congested in laptops and doesn't actually help airflow in any particular way so the temperature is particularly harmful in such areas. Next laptops power system (battery and charger) are usually rated for particular performance and overclocking may significantly reduce their life due to heavy consumption. 

Next , overclocking also void the warranty of the product so there's that too. 

Plus overclocking is also associated with something techies call "silicon lottery" and not all same processor are capable of same level of overclocking so it is a hit or miss, always. 

Lastly, unless you using some dedicated gaming laptops, laptops aren't built for gaming/heavy duty works. So usually there supports limits their overclocking capacity.

My statement came bold so let me rephrase it to, "You most likely don't wanna overclock laptops but if you want, go for it."

Edited by ALiuS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1